These exercises are about using the verb ‘to come’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:
‘to come across’ means to find something by chance.
- Here is an old photo of me. I came across it when I was looking for my passport.
- I love this painting. I came across it in the attic when I was cleaning up.
‘to come apart’ means to break into separate pieces.
- It broke when I picked it up. Everything just came apart.
- It’s quite big but you can pack it into a small box. It comes apart very easily.
‘to come down’ means to fall, to decrease.
- The price of petrol has come down since the beginning of the year. It’s much cheaper now.
- She has taken some aspirin so her temperature has come down.
‘to come from’ = to have as your country or place of origin.
- You know by his accent that he comes from South Africa.
- I come from York, a beautiful city in the north of England.
‘to come out’ = to be released, to be available to the public
- His new book comes out next month. I’m sure it will be a bestseller.
- Their new CD came out only a few weeks ago and has already sold millions.
‘to come out’ can also mean to leave a room or a building
- He stayed in his office until he had finished the report. He didn’t come out all day.
- He was waiting for me when I came out of work.
‘to come up’ = to arise unexpectedly
- I’m sorry but I’ll be late. Something has come up.
- A great opportunity has just come up for a job in the marketing department.
‘to come up’ = to be mentioned, talked about
- We were talking about different people we knew and his name came up in the conversation.
- I don’t want to talk about it so I hope it doesn’t come up.
‘to come up with’ = to think of, imagine a solution or idea
- I asked Larry for some suggestions and he came up with a lot of very good ideas.
- I’m sorry but I haven’t come up with any solution yet. I don’t know what we can do.
‘to come off’ = to become unstuck
- I don’t know what is in the box, the label has come off.
- When I tried to open the door, the handle came off in my hand!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?