These exercises are about using the verb ‘to do ‘ combined with particles:
- We did away with all the old equipment and invested in some new.
- Let’s do away with formality and use first names.
‘to be done in’ is used to mean you are very tired, totally exhausted.
- When I got home, I collapsed into bed. I was completely done in.
- Working in the garden really did me in. I’m going to have an early night.
‘to do out’ means to clean and tidy a place thoroughly.
- I’ve done my wardrobes out and given away all my old clothes.
- I can’t get the car in the garage anymore. I’m going to have to do it out and make some space.
‘to do out in’ means to decorate a place in a certain color or style.
- The bedroom was done out in blue and looked very cold.
- The whole house was done out in a country style with lots of wood and flowers everywhere.
‘to do over’ means to do something again.
- I don’t like it, so I have decided to do it over and paint it another color.
- I had to do it over because my computer crashed and I hadn’t saved it.
‘to do up’ means to fasten something.
- Can you do the zip up for me, please? I can’t do it myself.
- Do up your laces before you trip over them.
‘to do up’ also means to renovate an old building or house.
- They bought an old house in France and spent a few years doing it up.
- Old warehouses along the river have been done up and made into beautiful flats.
‘to do with’ is used to explain there is a connection from one thing to another.
- It’s got nothing to do with me. I’m not responsible for that.
- He’s something to do with health but I don’t think he is a doctor.
‘to do with’ is also used to say that you would like to have something.
- I could do with something to eat. I haven’t eaten since breakfast.
- I could do with a good night’s sleep. I haven’t had one for weeks.
‘to do without’ means you manage to live despite not having something.
- I forgot to buy milk so we’ll just have to do without.
- I don’t need your help. I can do without it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?