When you finish your stay in a hotel, you have to ‘check out’ at reception and pay your final bill.
- I need to check out of my hotel room by 11.
- You check us out whilst I order a taxi for the airport.
If you ‘lock yourself out’, you close a door without having the key to get back in.
- Richard managed to lock himself out of his hotel room stark naked.
- I’ve left the keys in the car and locked myself out.
If you ‘pick something out’, you choose it, often with some care.
- Harry has picked out all the cashew nuts and left only the peanuts for me.
- From the thirty candidates, we’ve picked out seven to interview.
If you ‘reach out’ for something, you extend your arm to get it (sometimes metaphorically.)
- Drivers have to reach out a long way to insert the ticket in the machine.
- Our present customers are almost all over fifty. We need to reach out to a younger public.
If you ‘rush out’, you leave or send out very quickly.
- I wanted to speak to Jane but she rushed out as soon as the meeting was over.
- We rushed out the new catalogue and it is full of spelling errors.
If you ‘throw something out’, you get rid of it.
- We need to throw out the terrible printers we have and buy some new ones.
- You shouldn’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.
If you warn somebody to ‘look out’, it means that there is danger.
- Look out! The boss is on the warpath.
- Look out! There’s a radar camera just up ahead.
If you ‘send something out’ you send it to a lot of people (for example, to a mailing list.)
- I’ll be sending out the newsletter early next week.
- Have you sent out the invitations yet?
If someone or something ‘stands out’, it is very noticeable or is better than similar people or things.
- One candidate stands out from the rest.
- He likes to stand out from the crowd.
If you ‘pour out’ your (usually sad) feelings or your thoughts, you talk about them very honestly and without holding anything back.
- He poured his heart out to me about his recent divorce.
- Don’t hold back. Let it all pour out. It will do you good.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?