If you ‘burst out’, you suddenly say something. If you ‘burst out laughing’, you suddenly start to laugh. If you have an ‘outburst’, you express your feelings (usually anger) strongly.
- I burst out laughing when I saw Derek wearing his kilt.
- He suddenly burst out crying when I told him he had lost his job.
If you ‘call somebody out’, you ask them to come to help you.
- We called out the fire brigade because the situation was so dangerous.
- I was called out in the middle of the night because the computer system went down.
If you ‘call out’, you say something loudly.
- If you know the answer, just call it out.
- I called out your name but you couldn’t have heard me.
If you ‘carry out’ a task, you do something you were told or agreed to do.
- We need to carry out a survey to see what people really want.
- I didn’t think he would carry out his threat to resign.
If you ‘clear out’ a place, you remove all the unwanted items.
- We cleared out the old storeroom and turned it into an office.
- You’re fired. Clear out your desk and leave the premises.
If you ‘wear somebody out’ , you make them very tired.
- I’m worn out from all the business trips I take.
- Running two offices in Milan and New York is enough to wear anybody out.
If you ‘work something out’, you make a calculation or make a plan and a decision.
- I need to work out the new prices for next year’s catalogue.
- We need to work out an agreement between our companies.
If something unpleasant or bad ‘breaks out’, it starts.
- The fire broke out in the warehouse.
- A fight broke out in the canteen when somebody tried to jump the queue.
If you ‘drop out’ of an activity, you stop doing it.
- We dropped out of the bidding for the new contract because we were going to make a loss.
- I’ve dropped out of the planning committee because I don’t have the time.
If you ‘fall out’ with someone, you have an argument with them.
- Harry and I have fallen out about the plans for the new building.
- I don’t want to fall out with you but I strongly disagree.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?