‘get on’ = to have a good relationship
- I don’t like my boss. We just don’t get on.
- The atmosphere is terrible. He doesn’t get on with his co-workers.
‘follow up’ = to find out more about or take further action on something.
- Before we offer her the job, we need to follow up on her references.
- The training is followed up by regular refresher courses over a six-month period.
‘set up’ = to arrange for an activity or event to happen
- I’d like to discuss it further. Can we set up a meeting?
- I’ve set up interviews with the remaining three candidates.
‘make up’ = do or pay extra to cover a difference.
- I’d like to leave early on Friday. I’ll make up the time next week.
- There was an error in your expenses. We’ll make up the difference next month.
‘hand in’ = to give something
- He’s leaving at the end of the month. He has handed in his resignation.
- I haven’t handed my time sheet in yet. I must do it now.
‘work out’ your notice = to continue working through the period after you have resigned.
- They asked him to leave immediately. He didn’t have to work out his notice.
- He negotiated a deal so he didn’t have to work out his notice and could leave sooner.
‘sort out’ = to resolve
- We don’t know who is going to replace Sue. We have to sort it out soon.
- I have finally sorted out the error on the time sheets. It’s all correct now.
‘carry on’ = to continue
- We still haven’t found a suitable candidate. We’ll have to carry on looking.
- Until we get the new software installed, we’ll have to carry on using the old.
‘back out’ = to decide not to do something previously agreed.
- They had agreed to do it but then backed out.
- He had accepted the post but backed out at the last minute so we’re considering other candidates.
‘go with’ = to adopt or support an idea or plan.
- I think your idea is a good one. I think we should go with it.
- We’re not really sure which agency to go with. We don’t think any of them are really what we are really looking for.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?