This lesson is the first in two lessons about using the verb ‘to get’ combined with particles. Here are some of the most common:
‘to get across’ means to communicate, make people understand.
- I’m not sure I got that across very well. I don’t think they really understood.
- He’s an excellent speaker. He can get across even the most complicated ideas.
‘to get away’ means to go on holiday.
- We had a lovely holiday. We got away for a few days on the beach.
- I don’t think we can get away until the end of the month. We’re too busy.
‘to get back’ means to return from a trip or a journey.
- She’s still in Taiwan. She doesn’t get back until next week.
- I get back on Friday afternoon. I’ll call you then.
‘to get back’ can also mean to have returned something you lent to someone.
- I lent him some money last year and I never got it back.
- We have only got back fifty percent of the questionnaires we gave out.
‘to get back to’ = to speak again with someone or to return a phone call
- When I have more information, I’ll get back to you.
- He got back to me yesterday afternoon with his answer.
‘to get by’ means to just have enough money or to just manage financially
- At the end of the month, I have no money left. It is difficult to get by on my salary.
- If we are careful, we can get by on less than $20 a day.
‘to get down to’ means to start some work or a task
- If everybody is here, let’s get down to business.
- I didn’t start it until the last moment. I just couldn’t get down to it.
‘to get in’ means to arrive home or at the office
- I’m really tired this morning. I didn’t get in until after midnight last night.
- He’s always the last to arrive. He never gets in before 9.30.
‘to get in’ can also mean to enter
- He opened the door so I could get in the car.
- You need to have some photo id to get in the company.
‘to get off’ means to leave a bus, train or plane
- Take the 23 bus and get off at the last stop. I live very near there.
- To go to the National Gallery, take the underground and get off at Trafalgar Square.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?