Let’s continue looking at the verb ‘to go’ combined with particles. Here are some more common ones:
‘to go on doing something’ means to continue doing something.
- He didn’t even look at me. He just went on working.
- I can’t go on working so hard. I’m going to make myself ill.
‘to go on to do something’ means to move on to something after you have finished.
- First he told us about the present situation, then he went on to tell us about the future.
- If you have no further questions, I’d like to go on to the next part of my talk.
‘to go on’ means to happen.
- What’s going on outside? There’s a lot of noise.
- There’s not much going on this afternoon. It’s very quiet.
‘to go out’ means to leave home to go to the cinema or the pub for example.
- I won’t be home tonight. I’m going out with Kelly.
- We’re going out for a beer tonight. Would you like to come?
‘to go over’ means to review something to check it.
- I’m not sure my figures are accurate. Can we go over them again?
- He went over the main points again to be sure we had understood.
‘to go through’ means to experience an unpleasant or difficult time.
- It was terrible. I don’t want to go through that again.
- He’s going through a very difficult time what with his divorce etc.
‘to go through’ also means to examine something carefully.
- The customs officer went through their bags looking for drugs.
- I’ve been through his papers but I can’t find the one I’m looking for.
‘to go under’ means to fail or go bankrupt.
- Three thousand companies have gone under so far this year.
- Cash flow is the reason that most companies go under.
‘to go up’ means to increase or rise.
- The number of jobless went up 0.5 percent last month.
- It’s very expensive now. The price has gone up by ten percent since January.
‘to go with’ means to support an idea or the people proposing a plan.
- I think Jack’s right. I have to go with him.
- We should go with Sue’s idea. It’s the best idea yet.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?