Phrasal Verbs – Make
, Common Expressions
, Exercise 2
, Exercise 3
, Half The Fun
, New Girlfriend
, One Million Dollars
, Phrasal Verbs
Let’s now look at the verb ‘to make’ combined with particles. Here are some more of the most common expressions:
‘to make for’ means to go on the direction of.
- He got up and made for the exit.
- When he came into the room, he made straight for me.
‘to make of’ means think of, have an opinion about.
- He’s a complete mystery to me. I don’t know what to make of him.
- What do you make of his new girlfriend?
‘to make off’ means to leave somewhere very quickly, often to escape.
- The car didn’t stop after the accident but made off at speed towards the town centre.
- He snatched her bag and made off down the street through the crowd.
‘to make off with’ means to steal and escape with something.
- The thieves made off with over one million dollars in cash.
- They broke into the house and made off with jewellery and silver.
‘to make out’ means to manage to be able to see or hear something.
- He was speaking very quietly. I couldn’t make out what he was saying.
- It was too dark to see. I couldn’t make him out clearly.
‘to make out’ can also mean to pretend that something is true.
- He made out he was very rich when, in fact, he wasn’t.
- She often makes out she is the boss when, really, she is only an assistant.
‘to make up your mind’ means to decide.
- I bought them both because I couldn’t make up my mind which one to buy.
- Make your mind up! Which one do you want?
‘to make up’ means to say or write something that is not true, to invent a story.
- It wasn’t true at all. They just made it up.
- I told him I couldn’t go and made up an excuse.
‘to make up’ can also mean to forgive someone and become friendly with again after an argument.
- We had a huge argument and but made up later.
- Half the fun of arguing is making up afterwards!
‘to make up for’ means to compensate for something bad that they have done or that has happened.
- He bought me some flowers to make up for being late.
- What can I do to make up for forgetting your birthday?