Now let’s begin looking at some common expressions using the verb ‘to take ‘ combined with particles:
‘to take after’ means to resemble a parent or family member.
- She’s blond with blue eyes. She takes after her father.
- He is good at maths. He doesn’t take after me!
‘to take along’ means you take someone or something with you when you go somewhere.
- I took Sue along to the party. She really enjoyed it.
- Shall we take a bottle along? That is always appreciated.
‘to take apart’ means to separate something into the parts it is made up of.
- He took the machine apart and couldn’t reassemble it.
- The machine needs taking apart and cleaning and oiling then it’ll work.
‘to take aside’ means to isolate a person from the rest of a group to talk to them privately.
- After the meeting, he took me aside and asked me what I really thought.
- She took Danny aside and explained what she wanted him to do.
‘to take away’ means to remove something from its place and put it elsewhere.
- Someone had cleaned the room and taken away all the dirty dishes.
- Take that away! I don’t want it in here.
‘to take away’ also means to remove something and stop them having it again.
- His passport was taken away so he can’t leave the country.
- Security was very strict in the airport, they even took away my bottle of water!
‘to take back’ means to return something you have bought or borrowed.
- When I got home I discovered it didn’t work so I took it back to the shop.
- When you’ve finished using it, can you take it back to the kitchen and put it away, please?
‘to take down’ means to go to a lower level or place with something.
- I took them down to the beach for the day as the weather was beautiful.
- Can you take that down, please? It shouldn’t be up here in your bedroom.
‘to take down’ also means to remove something that is attached to a wall or other object.
- When I went into the sitting room, I noticed that he had taken down all the pictures.
- Now the election is over, all the posters have been taken down.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?