Let’s continue with more expression with the verb ‘to put’ combined with particles. Here are some more of the most common expressions:
‘to put forward’ an idea or opinion means to suggest something for discussion.
- A few suggestions have been put forward for consideration.
- Jan put forward a few ideas for raising money for the charity.
‘to put forward’ a person or a name means to suggest someone for a job or position.
- He put his name forward as a candidate for election.
- I’ve put Peter’s name forward for the post in accounts.
‘to put in’ means to install new equipment or a new system.
- We have put in a more powerful engine in the new version.
- We’ve just had a new bathroom put in.
‘to put in’ money means to invest.
- I’ve put a lot of money in this project. I hope to make a good profit.
- I’ve put all my money in government bonds.
‘to put in for’ means to request a transfer or to apply for a job.
- I hope I get the job in Toronto. I’ve put in for a transfer there.
- She’s put in for the job in the Export department but I don’t think she’s qualified for it.
‘to put into’ If you put time, money or energy into something, it means that you invest a lot in it.
- I’m not happy with the result even though I’ve put a lot of time into it.
- She put a lot of effort into getting it right.
‘to put off’ an event means to postpone it to a later time.
- Tomorrow will be too late. Don’t put it off.
- She’s put the wedding off until her father has recovered from his illness.
‘to put someone off’ means to stop them doing something by disturbing them.
- I wish he would let me work quietly. His talking puts me off my work.
- All the people watching put him off his game. He didn’t play very well at all.
‘to put someone off’ another person means to make them dislike someone.
- His arrogant attitude puts people off him very quickly.
- The stories I heard about him really put me off him.
‘to put off’ the light means to switch it off.
- I couldn’t sleep. I finally put the light off at two in the morning.
- Can you put the light off, please? It’ll be easier to see the screen.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?