Let’s continue with more expressions with the verb ‘to put’ combined with particles. Here are some more of the most common ones:
‘to put on’ a piece of clothing means to place it over a part of the body to wear it.
- It’s cold in here. I’m going to put a sweater on.
- Before going out, he put his boots, coat and hat on.
‘to put on’ the light means to turn it on.
- It’s dark in here. Can you put the light on, please?
- I didn’t put the light on because I didn’t want to disturb you.
‘to put on’ weight means to gain a few kilos.
- I must go on a diet, I’ve put five kilos on since the holidays.
- He was looking a little fatter. I think he has put some weight on.
‘to put out’ a light means to turn it off.
- We don’t need the light now. Could you put it out?
- We put out the light and sat in the dark.
‘to put out’ something burning means to extinguish it.
- You can’t smoke in here. Please put that cigarette out.
- It took only a few minutes for the fire-fighters to put the fire out.
‘to put out’ somebody means to cause them extra trouble.
- Please don’t go to any trouble. I don’t want to put you out.
- I’d be happy to do it. You’re not putting me out at all.
‘to put over’ an idea or opinion means to express it.
- He expresses himself very well and puts his ideas over very clearly.
- I don’t think I put my point of view over very well.
‘to put someone through’ something means you make them do something unpleasant or to suffer it.
- I’m sorry, we have to do it. But believe me, I really don’t want to put you through it.
- We can’t put him through the ordeal of more surgery. He isn’t strong enough.
‘to put someone through’ on the phone means to connect the caller to another person.
- Please hold the line, I’m putting you through.
- Good morning. Could you put me through to Mr Davies, please?
‘to put something together’ means to assemble it.
- This modern flat pack furniture is very easy to put together.
- We’ve put together an excellent team to work on this project.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?