Now let’s look at the verb ‘to sit’. Here are some common expressions using this verb combined with particles:
‘to sit around’ means to spend time doing very little.
- They just sit around and do nothing all day.
- We sat around in the hotel until it stopped raining.
‘to sit back’ means to wait for something to happen while deliberately not being involved.
- She just sat back and waited for us to do everything.
- You can’t just sit back and expect me to do everything.
‘to sit down’ means to lower your body into a sitting position.
- We looked for somewhere to sit down.
- She sat down beside me on the sofa and started talking.
‘to sit in on’ something means to be present during a meeting or event but not participate.
- He asked me to sit in on the discussion and report back to him.
- When I was new to the department, I sat in on meetings to learn the procedures.
‘to sit on’ a committee or panel means to be a member.
- As the representative of the personnel, I sat on the board of directors.
- He sat on many committees dealing with education.
‘to sit out’ means to be outside rather than inside.
- While the weather was good, we sat out and had lunch.
- We went to the pub and sat out at the tables in the garden.
‘to sit out’ something means to wait for it to finish.
- His injury meant that he had to sit out the rest of the competition.
- When it started raining, we decided to sit out the storm in the café.
‘to sit over’ someone is to watch them very carefully to check up on them.
- I sat over him and made sure he took his medicine.
- She sat over me until I had finished everything.
‘to sit through’ means to remain until something is finished, especially if it is unpleasant.
- They sat through a very long meeting.
- We had to sit through a very boring lecture before we could go for a drink.
‘to sit up’ means to not go to bed until it very late.
- I sat up and waited for him to come home.
- She sat up all night to finish her project before the deadline.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?